FaceApp’s Privacy Policies and Ground Realities
FaceApps Privacy Policies and Ground Realities
FaceApp while not a new application has become popular again in recent days after social networks were filled with photos with an aging face. The application uses a neural network to modify the face of the users and executes this process in the cloud so there are users who are concerned about privacy that comes with using the application. As reviewed by several media the terms and conditions of use of FaceApp are not respectful of privacy; to which the Russian company that is after the development is added. Some in fact ensured that the app uploaded all the photos to the cloud without the users permission.
- Photos and multimedia content: It is the basis of the service since the effects are applied on images that we upload.
- Analytical data: FaceApp records what is used most of your application and web service.
- Cookies: FaceApp makes mention of cookies although this information is basically restricted to accessing the web not to the use of the mobile application.
- Use log or «log»: The servers keep the use made of the web also of the application.
- ID: FaceApp associates the application with the device that downloads it in order to have a specific user reference. This identifier is stored in the mobile and also in the servers. It is not the device ID the unique identifier of each Android.
- Metadata: Each action in FaceApp as in the rest of applications generates information in the form of structured data.
The Ground Reality
Anyway FaceApp is another example of how we voluntarily renounce our privacy. FaceApp does not do anything other than apps like Facebook Instagram or Twitter: use user data to show targeted advertising and improve services. The company behind the application Wireless Lab uses the metadata generated by FaceApp and the results of its Artificial Intelligence (AI) on the images to improve the process the application and to offer a better advertising experience by adapting the ads to the user. Leave the door open to the marketing of the photos without specifying the specific terms.
In short this is what can happen with your data and photos if you use the FaceApp application:
- You will share your images and the usage data generated when using FaceApp with the service. All this information is stored in the companys servers.
- The information stored is mostly in American servers; no matter how much data can be stored in other countries where the application operates.
- FaceApp is governed by California laws as well as applications such as WhatsApp or Facebook.
- The photos and the modifications belong to you but you grant the license of use commercialization and modification to FaceApp.
- All data collected by the service can be shared with other companies in the group and affiliated with FaceApp.
- The minimum age to use FaceApp is 13 years always with the consent of the parents.